Re: Some questions

From: Jon Powell <jonp@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun Jul 27 1997 - 21:49:04 PDT

psd wrote:

> Dear Sir.
>
> I have read some documents on the IBIS from the internet and I have
> some questions to ask:
>
> 1- In the simulator you have two curves one for the Pull-up, Pull-down
> and the other for the Clamp diodes, these two curves are on the same
> pin I mean you can not get each of them individually so how can you
> check these curves with the actual Lab measurements. ?
There are some inherent difficulties trying to make IBIS models from
physical measurement. If you can't probe inside the chip to control or
cut out things (which is VERY expensive) then you have to make some
assumptions about how transistors work and extract your data from that.

> 2- When You made these measurements in the LAB ,if you have the IC pin
> always high when you apply the VCC to that pin, how can you vary the
> voltage to measure the current variations?
You are varying the voltage at the input. A programmable voltage source,
CURRENT LIMITED, works good.

> 3- Are you sure that the voltage change between -Vcc to 2Vcc will not
> harm the IC pin??
It will melt it to slag. I recommend you stop your sweep very quickly
when the overshoot diodes cut on and LIMIT YOUR CURRENT to around 300ma.

> 4- These IC characteristics (IV ,Ramp...) is measured on the pins when
> all the IC pins are free so are these C/S will not change when the IC
> is connected inside the circuit or some pins within the IC itself is
> connected to another pins to the same IC ??
Sorry, I don't follow this. If your are asking, "can the package
parasitics mask the AC behavior of the part during transition
measurement?" the answer is "yes".
This is why I usually recommend that people make models either from high
quality SPICE like simulations (which presumably come from good
measurements made at the factory) or from raw data generated by the chip
manufacturer.

Special Note:
There are people out there making good models from measurement (I may
even be one of them) but it is very expensive and takes a lot of set up
time, measurement know-how, and spare parts (for when you slag them).

> Thanks for your cooperation.
> Hany Gad.

Your Welcome,
Jon Powell
Senior Scientist, Viewlogic Systems Consulting services
(formally of the Quad Design group)