Re: Modelling bus switches and other series elements

From: John V Fitzpatrick <John.Fitzpatrick@ln.cit.alcatel.fr>
Date: Thu Jan 16 1997 - 01:56:16 PST

Bonjour,

I like Chris's suggestion. So we could have a keyword [Series Models]
followed by optional [State] keywords.

Let's be careful about the word "switch". There is the case
where a switch is ON or OFF, and then there's the case where different
paths are switched in or selected.

So [State] indicates when to use the ON model of a buffer.
In all other states, the OFF model is used.
i.e.[State] is used when there are selectable paths.

Example:

 [Series Models]
 | Pin Pin Model
    6 7 FET #always ON

 [State] StateName1
 | Pin Pin Model
    1 3 SMC #ON only when state=StateName1

 [State] StateName2
 | Pin Pin Model
     1 5 SMCx

Some questions:

  1) I see from the minutes of the last meeting that Arpad is
     preparing a BIRD on this subject. Is a draft of this BIRD
     available?

  2) A common application of bus switches is to protect
     components e.g. 3.3V from 5V, 2.5V from 3.3V.
     Should IBIS allow this to be modelled? Or is it
     too much an analog funcction?

Regards to all,
John Fitz

--
John Fitzpatrick   <John.Fitzpatrick@ln.cit.alcatel.fr>
Alcatel Telecom, 4 rue de Broglie, 22304 Lannion, France