6/15/95 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes

From: Derrick Duehren <Derrick_Duehren@ccm2.jf.intel.com>
Date: Mon Jun 19 1995 - 10:47:00 PDT

 IBISians,

 Thank you all for the thank-you plaque and letter. I have very much enjoyed
 serving as secretary to this august body. I wish you all the best and I am
 confident that Bob Ross (bob@icx.com) will be a good replacement.

 Derrick Duehren
 IBIS Open Forum Secretary (a volunteer position)
 Phone (503) 264-4299, Fax (503) 264-4904
 Derrick_Duehren@ccm.jf.intel.com
 2111 NE 25th, JF1-97, Hillsboro, OR 97224

 DATE: June 19, 1995

 SUBJECT: 6/15/95 EIA IBIS Open Forum Meeting Minutes

 VOTING MEMBERS:
 AT&T Global Info Solutions Dave Moxley
 Cadence Design Sandeep Khanna, C. Kumar*
 Contec Dileep Divekar*
 HyperLynx Kellee Crisafulli
 INCASES Werner Rissiek*, Olaf Rethmeier
 Intel Corporation Stephen Peters, Will Hobbs*, Arpad Muranyi,
                                Derrick Duehren*
 Interconnectix, Inc. Bob Ross*
 Meta-software Les Spruiell*
 Motorola Ron Werner
 National Semiconductor Syed Huq*, Atul Agarwal, Cheng-Yang Kao*
 NEC Hiroshi Matsumoto
 Quad Design Jon Powell*
 Quantic Labs Mike Ventham
 Texas Instruments Bob Ward*
 Thomson-CSF/SCTF Jean LeBrun*
 UniCAD Canada Ltd. Stephen Lum*
 Zuken-Redac John Berrie

 OTHER PARTICIPANTS:
 ARPA Randy Harr
 Anacad Steffen Rochel
 Ansoft Henri Maramis
 Atmel Corporation Dan Terry
 Cadlab Ralf Bruning
 Digital Equipment Corp. Barry Katz
 EIA Patti Rusher*
 High Design Technology Michael Smith, Dr. Ing. Cosso
 Hewlett Packard Tom Langdorf, Karl Kachigan, Henry Wu
 IBM Jay Diepenbrock
 Integrated Silicon Systems Eric Bracken
 Intergraph Ian Dodd, David Wiens, Walter Katz
 IntuSoft Charles Hymowitz
 LSI Logic Corp. Satish Pratadneni*
 Mentor Graphics Ravender Goyal, Greg Doyle
 Meta-Software Mei Wong, You-Pang Wei, John Sliney
 MicroSim Arthur Wong
 North Carolina State U. Steve Lipa, Michael Steer
 OptEM Engineering, Inc. Benny Leveille, Ken Ehn
 Pacific Numerix Paul K. U. Wang
 Symmetry Martin Walker
 Synopsys, Logic Modeling G. Bill Lattin
 Zeelan Technology George Opsahl*, Hiro Moriyasu

 In the list above, attendees at the meeting are indicated by *.

 Upcoming Meetings: The bridge numbers for future IBIS teleconferences are as
 follows:
      Date Bridge Number Reservation # Passcode
      6/30/95 (916) 356-9999 1-3145 3815654
      7/21/95 (916) 356-9999 1-3147 7221442
      8/11/95 (916) 356-9999 1-3150 8492193

 All meetings are 8:00 AM to 10:00 AM Pacific Time. We try to have agendas out
 7 days before each open forum and meeting minutes out within 7 days after.
 When you call into the meeting, ask for the IBIS Open Forum hosted by Will
 Hobbs and give the reservation number.

 NOTE: "AR" = Action Required.

 -------------------------------- MINUTES -------------------------------------

 INTRODUCTIONS, ANNOUNCEMENTS
 Everyone introduced themselves and stated their involvement/interest in IBIS.
 Jean LeBrun went into some detail on his activities in the European CAD
 Standards Initiative group working on modeling standards. Two years ago he
 learned of IBIS just as he was about to launch a similar activity in Europe,
 and chose to monitor the progress of IBIS instead, to see if it met their
 needs. It has. He has also been applying IBIS to EMC simulation and has found
 it very accurate. He also discussed some of the thermal modeling work he has
 been engaged in, in a similar approach to IBIS.

 We had 14 attendees at the IBIS Birds of the Feather session the previous
 evening. Jon Powell lead the discussion, as Will Hobbs was leading the OMF
 discussion across the hall.

 EIA IBIS MEMBERSHIP UPDATE
 We now have 17 paid members (indicated in the participant list above). 10
 were present to vote.

 PUBLIC RELATIONS
 Jon and Patti will be creating a poster of participant companies' logos.
 Everyone likes the concept. Patti will send letters on EIA letterhead asking
 for official permission to use of the logos on the poster. Jon will also get
 another 40 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards made. Send email to Jon (JonP@qdt.com)
 if you want one.

 Patti published a press release just before DAC. We will wait until the end
 of the balloting process before issuing another press release.

 Syed reported on National's internal WWW page. NSC has a variety of IBIS
 information files posted internally. Syed and Patti are working to set up an
 EIA home page for IBIS. Content suggestions:
 o EDN article (we still own the rights)
 o Frequently asked questions, or FAQ
 o Presentation materials from conferences, etc.
 o IBIS overview (2.1 Update needed)
 o EDA/Semiconductor company home page links
 o Links to publicly available models

 A link to the vhdl.org library is possible via ftp.

 Jon motioned that all submissions to the WWW home page be approved by a
 majority vote of the members present. The motion was passed. Syed
 volunteered to be the "Web Master".

 Syed also discussed his successful efforts within NSC to propagate IBIS.

 AR Syed - Post to the reflector a summary of your efforts to promote IBIS
 within NSC.

 ELECTION OF OFFICERS
 Chair: Will Hobbs
 Vice Chair: Jon Powell
 Secretary: Bob Ross
 Librarian: Michael Steer (not present - has option to decline)
 Having only one person nominated to each position, all positions were elected
 by acclamation, effective next meeting.

 STATUS OF IBIS SPEC BALLOTING
 So far, Patti has received about five positive responses to the ballot, with
 no comments that require response from the committee.

 8/22/95 is the deadline for ballot responses. We will then have 5 working
 days to finish responding to the comments (we can respond to the comments as
 they arrive). All comments must have a response. Any substantive technical
 changes must go out for a second 30-day ballot. Once it is approved as an EIA
 standard, EIA656, Patti will present it to ANSI in Sept./Oct. to become a
 National standard, then on to the international community to make it an
 international standard. Jean LeBrun pointed out that to be approved
 internationally the spec must have a clear statement of the scope and purpose.

 GOLDEN PARSER UPDATE
 Will received an update from Paul Munsey before leaving for DAC but has yet to
 distribute it. Paul believes that this is the "final" version. But Bob Ross
 would like us to contract Paul to make changes to the banded matrix section
 (see BIRD 29 discussion).

 INCREASING MODEL AVAILABILTIY
 Bob Ross presented a letter that Brock Hannibal, Tektronix, has written to his
 purchasing dept. It directs them to ask a series of questions of Tek's
 semiconductor suppliers, expressing preference for IBIS models and grilling
 them on their strategies for providing I/O models.

 We discussed the need for companies that have non-public IBIS models to
 advertise them on vhdl.org. We agreed that companies should be able to post
 lists of IBIS files that are available only under NDA to Michael Steer, using
 a similar approval/signature process as normal IBIS files. Michael could then
 post the file list to the companies' vhdl.org directory as a text file
 (models.nda?).

 BIRD 29.1, BANDED MATRICES
 Bob Ross summarized BIRD 29.1, which he posted 2 days ago (less than the 14
 days required before a vote can be taken). The forum decided to have Paul
 Munsey roll BIRD 29.1 into the Golden Parser. We can formally approve the
 BIRD at our next meeting.

                                       NOTES

 IBIS CHAIR: Will Hobbs (503) 264-4369, Fax (503) 264-4210
             Will_Hobbs@ccm.jf.intel.com
             Modeling Manager, Intel Corp., Chairperson, EIA IBIS Open Forum
             2111 NE 28th M/S JF1-50, Hillsboro, OR 97124 USA

 VICE CHAIR: Jon Powell (805) 988-8250, Fax: (805) 988-8259
             JonP@qdt.com
             1385 Del Norte Rd., Camarillo, CA 93010

 SECRETARY: Derrick Duehren (503) 264-4299, fax (503) 264-4904
             Derrick_Duehren@ccm.jf.intel.com
             Intel Program Manager

 To become a voting member of the EIA IBIS Open Forum, send email to
 ibis-info@vhdl.org for instructions.

 If you want to join the e-mail reflector (ibis@vhdl.org), send e-mail to the
 IBIS secretary at ibis-request@vhdl.org.

 Check the pub/ibis directory on vhdl.org for more information on previous
 discussions and results. You can get on via ftp anonymous, "guest" login from
 telnet or dial-in (415-335-0110), or send an email request to the automatic
 archive server, archive@vhdl.org.

 "IBIS Spoken Here" placards are available from Jon Powell (jonp@qdt.com) for
 use at trade shows.